RCU Forums - View Single Post - 2.4 ghz interference: It can happen!
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2013, 06:56 AM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 2.4 ghz interference: It can happen!

ORIGINAL: HoundDog

ORIGINAL: av8tor1977

I tend to agree. However, the end result is the same; a crashed plane if it should happen in flight, or for some reason go undetected before flight, such as someone forgetting to do a range check before a flying session, or believing the web experts that say 2.4 is immune to interference and doing a substandard install of their equipment as a result.

The technicalities in this case are probably less important than the end result; which is RF interference affecting some portion of the system making the aircraft unsafe to fly. The 2.4 ghz system may be immune to some types of interference, but if other types can enter through servo wires, etc., then the only thing we have really gained with the 2.4 system is the ability to throw our frequency flags away.... (I'm just kidding; I know there are other interference advantages with 2.4.)

AV8TOR
Ever since 2.4 Sprectrum type radios have become so prevelent I have seen more planes just crash for no apperant reason ... many more times than ever with 72 Mhz. I truley believed it to be one particualar brand of radio, Using a Non-Hopping form of spread spectrum. Now that they have converted to a Hopping system and replaced some of a certian series of DSM2 receivers You see less of the just fly into the ground for no reason type of crashes. Have seen a Multi copter and a fix plane, just fly off to never never land within the last 2 weeks. Never to be seen again. The Multi Copter had a Return To Home GPS System on it and it just flew away. Who's knows why ... Just My recent Observations ...
In the days of of 72 you had to build your aircraft. The flier/builder was generally more knowledgeable than todays flier.
Today anyone that has a few spare bucks can have a hot p-51.
There are also many more fliers than there use to be.
Some of the high dollar airplanes you see at EVA are operated by fliers that have no understanding of what goes on inside their aircraft. They are just operators. Good fliers but still just operators.
They will have no knowledge of what would have happened and blame it on the radio.
I was flying at the EVA field on 2.4 and suddenly the airplane went uncontrollable and crashed.
It had hit an unseen dust devil. How do I know? Another flier hit the same dust devil but was able to get his A/C down and the radio of mine has worked flawlessly ever since. Thats just incident that you would be tempted to blame the radio.