RCU Forums - View Single Post - ESM Dornier DO 335
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2013, 09:56 AM
oliveDrab

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ESM Dornier DO 335

ORIGINAL: vertical grimmace

I will not comment again on the Electric vs engine issue here as it is off topic. But I see more accidents with electrics than I do with engines. The reason why is that they can go to instant, full power just trying to set them up. Usually these accidents are in the shop or someones living room. There are certainly serious injuries with both types of propulsion, but it is my opinion that you have to be more careful with electrics. There is more of a possibility for the prop to start turning unexpectedly with E power than with an engine. This has nothing to do with which type of propulsion you prefer, it is just the nature of the the beast.

Also, the 2 very serious incidents we have had within our club were grievous errors on the part of the users. 2 airplanes with over 50cc engines started without assistance or proper restraint. They broke all the rules with engines you do not mess around with.

To bring this back to the DO 335, I think much attention will need to be paid to that rear prop when starting if an engine is used here. One time when E power might be safer!
I apologize for going off topic. oliveDrab tends to do that.