RCU Forums - View Single Post - ESM Dornier DO 335
View Single Post
Old 02-26-2013, 06:16 PM
jimkron

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: ESM Dornier DO 335

ORIGINAL: kahloq

Retracts tested and installed. These are the ESM version 3 electrics. The wheels did NOT come with the set. They aren the older aluminum hub style included with the pneumatic versions of the esm gear. The wheels were bought seperately sicne the set of tires provided with my original v2 set of electric gear are plastic gub and rather blah looking.

Anyhow....mains are 4.5''. I wanted to use 5'' to get the tail higher to give as much bottom rudder clearance as possible...however....5'' ones just wont fit on the ESM oleo struts. To compensate, I raised the main gear themselves off the stock wood rails about an 1/8'' using metal washers.
The set of tires that comes with the gear had a 3.5'' nose and I installed a 3'' esm aluminum hub nosse wheel to bring the nose down and get that tail as high as possible.
All in all...a whopping 3/8'' rise for the tail....but better then having a nose high situation.

Also....note the pencil lines.....those are the CG marks. I measured the 151mm back from the crook in the wing taper and also measured 8.5'' back from the wing's LE agaisnt the fuse. Both positions line up with eachother....so seems thats the right spot...however, to be safe.....I will balance it nose heavy from that location.
Any extra height is good.
Love the way you finished off the wheel wells. The Sierra retracts were a challenge that way.
Looking good on the balance...you should be fine the way your doing it.
I'm doing this from memory...depending on how sensitive your balance device is, you might find the plane a little nose up or little nose down. In the end, I tried to balance the plane with the front prop perpendicular to the ground. Plane flew great on maiden.

jim