RCU Forums - View Single Post - 1/5.3 Horten 229
View Single Post
Old 03-03-2013, 06:57 PM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts
Default RE: 1/5.3 Horten 229

More progress... Robart finally shipped my nose gear unit and nose strut, so that arrived saturday. I got all of the flite-metal done on saturday, along with the adapter for the nose gear strut to work on the retract (it was intended to be used as a fixed gear only)..

And some different length's of nose gear unit showing the AoA..

Then today, i got to painting!

First up was doing the interior RLM colors for the gear doors and wheel wells. Then the RLM-76 light blue was spraying on the bottom of the center section and outer surface of the gear doors.. No picture of this though..

Then was the green base coat (RLM-81) on the top:

Then the outer wing panels were put on, and the brown camo (RLM-82) was sprayed:

Then came time for the fun stuff.. WINTER CAMO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

First i took my i-phone in one hand and the airbrush in the other and started copying the separation line between the green and white. then started filling in the white area's. Since WWII luftwaffe winter camo was field applied and normally was made up of whatever white color they could get ahold of and sometimes applied with a mop, rag, brush, paint gun, broom... whatever they had on hand, I purposely tried not to completely cover the RLM- 81/82 base camo..

Then i just continued on with the outline and filling in the gaps, until I got to the point where all the base winter camo was applied.

I'll have to make up the paint masks for the insignia's this week and then plan to spray those on Saturday, then commence with the weathering; some of it (LE chipped) has already been started.