RCU Forums - View Single Post - Need help with my first plane
View Single Post
Old 03-10-2013, 07:29 PM
hugger-4641
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Need help with my first plane

[quoteThis thing is like a rabbid animal that needs to be put down out of it's misery. I will video it when I take it up so you all can see it.][/quote]

LOL. I don't blame you, I've had similar planes that I just decided I'm either gonna fly it or crash it and really didn't care which. I like your determined attitude, reminds me of myself!!

That said, I'm assuming your plane also has the 370 sized brushless motor and flaps. Here's a little advice that might help it survive:

Plan your flight area well so you can make a long take off roll from a hard surface and followed by a very gentle climb. You probably need about 100 feet of roll out to make a safe take off. ( I could do it in 50 feet or less, but I'm experienced and well practiced at the moment) Do not make any sudden turns or steep climbs until you get some altitude and get a feel for the plane. The small control surfaces make it very easy to overcorrect/under correct for banks and turns as well as stall out. This plane will bite the dust if you are too agressive.

Don't try to hand toss this plane. It does not have enough power and responsiveness to pull out of a bad toss. Hand tossing takes a bit of skill and practice, especially with an under powered plane.

Keep the flaps off or set at a very low deflection, like less than 5 degrees. Being underpowered already, flaps do help with lift and stall speed on this plane, but they rob some low speed response and manueverability that you are going to need a lot worse than you need the extra lift.

Give your self plenty of room to land. Don't cut the throttle and try to glide in, and don't try to come in too low and hang on the prop. This plane will tip out too quickly for you to respond. Come in at low throttle and establish a moderate rate of decesnt, and then cut power just before flairing for touchdown.

Hope this helps, let us know how it goes!