RCU Forums - View Single Post - Need help with my first plane
View Single Post
Old 03-12-2013, 07:42 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Need help with my first plane

Most of the time these are set at the factory but you do need to check both the low&high deflection rates and make sure each control operates the proper control surface and in the proper direction. As mentioned the dual rate switch should have been programmed with a low and high deflection rate. Simple test is to pull back on and hold the elevator stick(right stick) and watch how the elevator changes as you toggle the switch back&forth. Low rate is the position where it moves less and high is where it movers furthest and yes you do want it on low rates for the time being,
Check the controls too standing behind the plane. Elevator (right stick) pulled back should raise the elevator pushed forward should lower it. Ailerons (right stick) pushed to the right should raise the aileron on the right wing and lower the aileron on the left wing and pushing the stick to the left should raise the left aileron and lower the right Rudder (left stick) pushed to the right should move the rudder to the right and pushed to the left should move it to the left. If they are not correct you will have to adjust the switches on the transmitter to change or reverse direction.
If you are determined to try this alone or without an experienced pilot next to you be aware . I believe someone mentioned to keep this plane on the ground at full throttle for as long as possible before you start to pull back on the elevator. It is not over powered and will require a long take-off run especially if on grass. Pulling back too soon will result in a stall. Also if/when it does get in the air and is going away from you all of the controls will make sense to you BUT as you turn and come back toward yourself now the controls for ailerons and rudder are "backwards" as you look at the plane. This is the hardest part of flying for most new pilots to overcome and is the time when most first time crashes occur.
You want the plane to turn left as you are looking at it so you push the stick to the left . The plane does the correct thing and turns itself to the left however the planes left is now your right so if you want the plane to move or turn to your left you push the aileron or rudder stick to the right. It is very confusing but it's something you will need to overcome and it takes practice.