RCU Forums - View Single Post - Need help with my first plane
View Single Post
Old 03-12-2013, 09:15 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Need help with my first plane

Don't touch the flaps for now. Flying with flaps takes practice. Landings are the hardest part. Don't slow the plane down too much as it will stall. What I usually do with a new plane is take it up high after it is properly trimmed for level flight and lower the throttle and slow the plane down and watch it react. As it slows down more and more you will see how the plane stalls and if it wobbles and drops the nose, wobbles and dips a wing, etc... That way you are prepared to know how slow you can go when coming in for landings.
You need to bring it in with a little speed and fly it down close to the ground. When close you can reduce throttle a bit and let it settle in and at the right time pull back on the elevator a bit to flair and get the nose up so you can set it down on the main gear and then throttle back and it will set down on the nose wheel. Don't expect that to happen on the first landing attempt as again that takes practice too. If you can get it back on the ground in one piece or two and not a lot of small pieces you did OK.