RCU Forums - View Single Post - TF FW190 GIANT ARF
View Single Post
Old 03-15-2013, 04:48 PM
SrTelemaster150

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: TF FW190 GIANT ARF

ORIGINAL: Ramstein44

ORIGINAL: SrTelemaster150

Other than fabricating the guide & shoe, the actuator is no more complicated or more of a clearance concern than the servo.

The whole slack cable issue would still be present as TF designed the system.

As far as complicated, the electric retract elimnate weight in the tail & (even with the actuator) is far less complicated than pneumatics that will require a servo, valve, flow controls, & plumbing that will be far more complicated than a few servo wire extensions.

I disagree. . My air system installation took les than 20 minutes on the fuse and 10 on the wings. The hardest part was installing the servo for the valve. With electric setup, you're still running cables which no different. Its all about knowing what you're doing and having a plan.
I'm not talking installation time, although if the shoe/guide didn't have to be designed fabricated there would little if any difference there when someone experienced W/the Fw 190 A airframe is doing the installation.

I'm talking about component complication.

As a (prematurely) retired journeyman pipe fitter, steam fitter W/over 20 years experience, I think I might know a little about pneumatics.

The systems are about the same as far as complexity when the gear themselves & the cylinder/actuators are concerned. Although the cylinders have the edge over the actuators for simplicity. The BIG difference comes in the number of other mechanical componentas/connections are considered.

In addition to the aformentioned gear & actuators, the only additional mechanical components in the electrics is the shoe/guide & the pushrod.

The pneumatic system has a control valve which in itself has a spool & flow controls. There is also a servo so the pneumatic system is just a bit more complicated than the electric sytem. Now we have to utilize an air tank as well as the support system to fill it. Not to mention numerous points were hoses are (meachanically) connected that are prone to leakage.

The electric sytem only has the electrical connections which are not prone to leakage & if they are installed correctly, there is little chance for a disconnect.

Pneumatics are old, complicated & malfunction prone technology & electrics are the future of RC retract technology.

Besides, didn't the Fw 190 A utilize electric retract & control surface actuation? No hydraulics that I am aware of, & certainly no pneumatics..