RCU Forums - View Single Post - Once Again Harpy and His Sidekick
View Single Post
Old 03-17-2013, 04:46 PM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Once Again Harpy and His Sidekick

As long as there has been a Canadian RC Forum the same tired lament from the same group led of course by Marc Sharpe (Sharpy) and Ken Kalniuk (cf100) about how they know that the majority of MAAC does not want to belong to the FAI, support competition yadda yadda yadda. They presume to speak for this vast unheard majority even claiming an old boys club holds MAAC hostage. I have not met anyone who supported this line of thinking and I have attended many events in Ontario. I do remember meeting many MAAC members from all over and they all struck me as able to make up their own minds on any subject and would talk quite intelligently and forcefully about issues important to them. I would conclude from this that most members if they felt strongly enough about any subject regarding MAAC would certainly make their opinions known to their ZD. All one has to do is look at the South East Zone in Ontario this past year. If members feel strongly enough they will act. It took but a few months for the members of that zone to rally and effect a change. Ken and Marc have been at it for over 15 years and have yet to accomplish a single change. Slow learners or stubborn they don’t seem to get it, not many are interested in their private pet peeve with MAAC.

You do not have to attend the AZM or the AGM to have your vote count. At the AZM you attend or sign your proxy over to someone you trust and your vote will be cast. A closed proxy addresses specific issues and is not practical at the AZM as many new proposals are made.

At the AGM it’s quite different. All the resolutions and recommendations submitted from the zone meetings are published in the magazine. You can fill out a closed proxy stating how you wish your vote to be cast on each and every issue. You can assign your open proxy to someone you trust. You can attend in person; if you do nothing your zone director carries the weight of your vote. At the AGM every paid up member’s vote is counted one way or the other. It is up to you to use the system to make your voice heard.

Our constitution had enshrined the support and fostering of competition in Canada. Now it has been worded differently as amended in 2009 http://www.maac.ca/docs/2007/master_...ch_29_2009.pdf As part of this we retain membership in other organizations which make obtaining sporting licenses, record keeping and so on at the required national and international level. To drop this would require a change in the constitution as it is now written. This requires the proposal to come as a resolution from one or more of the zones at one of the AZMs. This would be voted on at the AGM. I believe there is a minimum percentage of the membership required to pass changes to our constitution. So even if the old boys club wanted to change it they would still have to follow the same procedure.

Fifteen years including those Marc spent as Zone Director and they haven’t even been able to move this to first base. I wonder why they have never pushed a resolution addressing these proposals from their own zone. Perhaps they want someone else to do the work for them or they have tried and failed.

Marc, Ken why not get off yer butt and do something about it instead of bellyaching to everyone within ear shot. Do like the Southeast Zone did action always speaks louder than words.

Dennis Pratt (Propworn)