RCU Forums - View Single Post - Sites for gas setup advice.
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2013, 06:32 PM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Sites for gas setup advice.

LOL Glad you took that the way it was meant, good humor. When I first started in gas I did all the redundant/protection methods recommended. The double batteries, ignition kills, etc. etc, After a couple years with all this extra gear crammed in, and never once useing the onboard kill,and never having the first issue I came to realise I am anal enough about the care and maintenance of my equipment to not need it. And in the couple years since not useing extra anything I feel it is a non neccessity. Use good equipment, sufficient equipment, and do safety checks periodically.
I currently use one battery which feeds through two on/off switches. One for the rx and one for the ign. I use a Tech Aero Ultra IBEC as the regulator for the ign and the litttle LED lets me know there is power to the ign. It also has a radio operated kill, which is set on my radio to shut off under the failsafe. But I do annual checks of everything on every one of my airframes, usually in January the slow month. I can honestly say in the 30 something years I have participated in this hobby I have only had one crash related to equipment failure. And the sad thing was I knew it was coming and flew anyway.
I am not trying to encourage or discourage you or anyone to do or not do anything. Just saying be reasonable in your quest for safety. Five years ago we had very little of the technologies available today and we managed quite well. Not to say we can't use them today, just that we may not really need them.
It's all up to you.