RCU Forums - View Single Post - Recommendations for those new to RC Flight
Old 03-22-2013, 08:18 AM
opjose

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Recommendations for those new to RC Flight

ORIGINAL: GBLynden

While I may not be welcomed to any AMA event anytime soon, I am highly capable of flying a wide variety of planes safely using the said proticol I layed out above and only flew often starting about 9 months ago. I have since helped others use the same steps and they are flying well too.
Again that is merely an anecdotal response which has NOTHING to do with years and years of experience teaching hundreds of thousands of novices.

The fact that you say "While I may not be welcomed to any AMA event anytime soon" also implies a self perceived quantity of irresponsibility in what you are doing.

You didn't start out by saying "I fly by AMA guidelines and I doubt the AMA would have any problem with what I do." . Your response is indicative of a boastful "renegade" approach.

Chuck at the least is not advocating any such irresponsibility and I've seen him give VERY good advice on other threads to novices about seeking help and also when "doing it alone".

Most of the do-it-yourselfers get poor "do-it-yourself" advice and go out and fly on public lands or locations where such things are proscribed, thanks in large part to what they hear.

Forget their ability, forget the types of planes they fly, but remember a litigious public anxious about any perceived threats from RC aircraft.

Take everything in total, the assertion that telling a novice to "do it alone" is the worst advice you can give.