RCU Forums - View Single Post - Recommendations for those new to RC Flight
Old 03-22-2013, 09:17 AM
pmerritt
My Feedback: (118)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Recommendations for those new to RC Flight

I'm an old fart and not nearways snobbish but I'm about to become one of those quitters.  I've flown for four years now, self taught with Real Flight sim and started with ugly stiks, high wings and graduated to low wings and even some sporty planes such as the Revolver but I truly believe there are just some people that aren't cut out for this hobby, me bieng one of them.
     I have mostly bought "experienced" planes so the investment wasn't so high and have built at least 20 planes (arfs) and the ego got into this game and I know I have probably close to $20k in inventory now from boxes of unbuilt arfs to work in progress to final tweeking planes ready to fly. 
I know I have wrecked at least 25 planes and recently lost a brand new Revolver with a new Evo 60nx on her,a brand new PTS P51 modified for the new Evo 60 gas and just Sunday lost a nice 3D profile with a 125 saito on her after trying several landing passes with some 15 mph crosswinds and then gusts dropped on me on my final attempt and she headed right for me so I hammered the throttle and ran her through a fence post..  STUPID STUPID STUPID. 
     Seriously there are so many scenarios that can't be taught even on buddy box.  Most buddy boxers will do basics and when the scenario warrants will NOT let a trainee recover from a potential disaster so that isn't the cure for events that I have failed to handle properly.
I'm not saying buddy box is bad.  I don't think starting buddy box is the right beginning.  A person needs to have a "bind feel" for how the sticks operate and the reaction that gives his aircraft LONG before he achieves his frist actual flight.  From there, it's a lot of luck and practice practice practice.  Unfortunately there are disasters which will get in the way of this hobby but I'm one of those that I think just doesn't do things right and have lost an incredible amount of money to this hobby which I love dearly.
     I must have 50 planes in various stages of new to beaters.  The ones I have spent all sorts of time making sure of balance, cgs, tank set up, etc have gone to trash sacks.  The Revolver was hot on landings so I made 5 passes slowing clicking down one click at a time to get her to slow down and the last turn into landing she just spiraled to death.  Cost me an brand new engine and plane.
    The P51 lost all power (battery y'd to the ignition and receiver 2300 Mah 6V new battery that test 99% after the crash) .  Engine quit, receiver quit so it somehow lost voltage across the board but we couldn't determine why.  
    Unfortunately build planes don't ship cheap so trying to sell on the internet is hardly worth it but after at least $5k in losses in 4 years is enough.  
   I need to take up needle point or cross stitch I guess.  Flying just isn't for me.  
And my 2 cents worth for the young kids.   Fearless, fiesty, and have much better dexterity so they make it interesting always.