RCU Forums - View Single Post - Testing the new NV (Norvel) .40 size (6.5cc) gasoline glow engine
Old 03-25-2013, 06:49 PM
Uncas
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Testing the new NV (Norvel) .40 size (6.5cc) gasoline glow engine

ORIGINAL: Sport_Pilot

Benol has addatives to make it mix better
No additives, polymerised or ozidized. Sometimes called blown oil because it is made by blowing air into a vat of hot oil. Blown vegtable oils are used in oil based paints because they bond and harden with age and/or exposure to air. They will also react differantly to various solvents such as gasoline. Not as good a lubricant, but not much worse either.

I am no expert by any means but my thinking is that the Klotz Benol has methanol or some derivative in it which will react with the platinum glow plug. Something has to react with the glow plug right?. I do not know if this engine is more powerful than a standard glow engine. I do not think it has to be. The advantages would be cheaper fuel costs and less of a mess to clean up and I suppose at a lighter weight than a gasser. To me, at the .40 size those advantages are not that great, but at a larger size like for Pattern flying it would be a big advantage as the pattern guys fly a lot and burn a lot of fuel. Maybe the same is true for racers and combat also - I am not into that type of flying. In Europe I hear they cannot get nitro at all so for them guys this might be a great thing at any size.

I also have the Norvel .061 and .074. They are great little engines. I seem to remember I soaked the cylinder in castor oil for 24 hours before I hand cranked them. The 1/2a forum has all kinds of tips for these engines.