RCU Forums - View Single Post - ? Clear Monokote Covering a Whole Airplane?
Old 03-26-2013, 04:08 AM
Mikie 1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ? Clear Monokote Covering a Whole Airplane?

Again, I am at the place, in building an RC Airplane, I fuss over the most... The final covering job. Once it's done - it's done!!
OH I guess in the future I could go back and remove all the covering, if I don't like it, and do the job all over again..., but I really don't want to.

So, I'm turning to you guys to ask - Has anyone ever heard of covering a whole airplane with clear Monokote? Yep, that's what I'm thinking of doing. Oh, I'll not leave the plane without its coloring. I'm thinking of using a translucent spray paint on the "bones" themselves.
My intended procedure will be to use Balsarite on the balsa ribs, spacers, spanners, support pieces, fins and other control surfaces to "prep" the balsa-wood. Then lightly (!!!) spray-paint the preped "bones" with a chosen color (here again I'm at a loss to pick out a color - yet). As with the usual procedure of finishing a covering job, I intend to use one color from the top and a different color as viewed from the bottom. Then cover the whole plane with clear Monokote.

I want to try something different in the finishing steps of this airplane and also want to get comments about it from the guys at the field. Below is the plane I plan to cover. It's a 1960s Delta Hustler.

So, what do you think? Have you known anyone to do this before? PLEASE!! I need lots of comments and ideas before I maybe really screw thit up!! THANKS!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36837.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	1866731