RCU Forums - View Single Post - What to look for when buying a used 1/5 scale gasser?
Old 04-03-2013, 01:15 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: What to look for when buying a used 1/5 scale gasser?

na it wont level out really. Gas is still cheaper to run. A fraction of a gallon gets you 30-40 minutes of runtime.
From what I have seen, even 5000mah lipo packs only run 15...maybe 20 minutes in 1/5 scale models.
And a 4s, 6s or 8s lipo pack is alot more expensive than a 2s.

KM is a knock-off of the HPI baja. The KM baja is nearly the same thing as the HPI baja buggy. It can be had for around $500 (there are a few trim levels)
I have had one. It was pretty good. Mine was an older one, with a 23cc motor. I think the new ones have 30cc now.
The alloy is not as high quality as the HPI. The tires also wear out quicker. But I never had motor issues, nor any drivetrain issues. The electronics held up fine as well.
But I once ran mine along side a rampage MT. It blew my KM away. With 1/5 scale, having 4wd makes them drive sooo much better. Having just rear drive and just rear breaking in a 30 pound RC doesnt make for good handling.
If I could do it again, I would buy a rampage XT (about the same cost as a new KM)
But its all personal preference. I think the KM and the XT/XB are of the same quality and durability. How they drive tho is very different.