RCU Forums - View Single Post - Gotta Love Them OS Guys
View Single Post
Old 04-04-2013, 06:23 AM
oliveDrab

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Gotta Love Them OS Guys

ORIGINAL: hugger-4641

While I don't use O.S. exclusively, I can say that I have had very dependable results and performance from them, but all of my O.S. engines are a couple years old and are all from Japan. I currently own about 20 different engines including Italian made Super Tigres, Thunder Tigers, Saito, Royal, K&B, Magnum, Asp, GMS, and Aviastar. I've flown some planes with YS, Rossi, and Fox engines, but I don't own any yet.

Of the engines I have personally owned, for performance and dependability, I put the GMS and the Aviastar at the bottom of the list. For dependability and ease of tuning, I put Magnum and O.S. at the top. For performance and power, since I don't own a YS or Rossi, I put Super Tigre and Thunder Tiger at the top.

For the money, my Magnum and Asp engines are the best value. I have a Magnum .46xls on a trainer that I bought new 4 yrs ago and I know I have put at least 15 gallons of fuel thru it teaching people to fly, it has never quit in flight. I also have a Magnum .91 Fs on my 1/4 scale Cub that was put thru hell before I got it and I've put at least a gallon a month thru it since I bought it 3 yrs ago, still going strong and starts on the first flip. If it dies tomorrow, I'm putting another Magnum on it. Haven't had my Asp engines long enough to give a verdict, but so far they're just as good as my Magnums, maybe slightly less power than an equally sized O.S. Just my annecdotal experience for what it's worth.[img][/img]
I see that Saito is not on the bottom or the top of your list. Sounds like you're neutral about Saito but would probably purchase some other engine. Do you own a Saito 1.80 by any chance?