RCU Forums - View Single Post - What "dumb" things have you done in relation to R.C.?
Old 04-04-2013, 02:04 PM
swiftkick1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: What

A few years ago I was flying an ultra sport 1000 I had built myself. Modified the ailerons, rudder, and elevator in both length and for maximum throws. On high rates it was a handfull to fly , but truly fun. Roll rate was incredible, flying level pull back the elevator and it instantly went verticle. After probably 50 flights or so, I had just fueled the plane, took off and after a few minutes of sane flying it was time for some insane flying. Well needless to say the battery pack ripped loose from the plane exiting the fuse during a high G manuver. Watched the battery pack fall to the ground ....but the plane kept right on flying at wide open throttle in a slight right hand banking turn maintaining about 300ft of altitude.....with almost a full tank of fuel it could maintain flight for 20 minutes......So here I am on the ground watching my plane tearing up the sky just going round and round.....this was all good until the wind started to blow it downrange towards some homes about 3/4 of a mile away.....It was like crap (wanted to use the other word) what should I do.....Well now its chase time....started making a run for the truck get in no keys dang it (wanted to use the other word) they're laying back at the pickinic table...crap (again wanted the other word)....get keys hop in the truck and and the chase is on....by now its loosing altitude with every circle and getting blown towards the homes that are downwind and man am I getting nervous....just can't wait for this thing to go plowing into someones home....So I'm burning down the road in my truck, I'm about 1/2 mile away from the plane trying to drive, watch the plane, buckle my seatbealt,......when the plane crosses the highway about 8ft above the ground and thats the last I see of it, and I'm thinking good now it's low enough and there's alot of trees in the area it was at. I drive to where I think it went down.....no can find lol.....look for hours until dark, go back the next day, still no can find. Searched trees in the wooded area, got permission from home owners to look in their yards, no can find. Everyday waited for a phone call from one touqued off homeowner with a bill for all the damages my plane had done to his home.... thank God no call came. So I just ended up writing the plane off as a total loss as time went on. This all happened in the spring. Well now let's jump to fall Nov 1st to be truly accurate deer hunting season is coming in 14 days and I'm going to set up my blind, this is the same area where I thought my plane went down. I'm walking the trail towards the area where I plan on hunting and catch something white out if the corner of my eye.....its my plane, in honest to God perfect condition, other than the hole where the battery exited the fuse. The motor was a little stiff from being in the elements other than that it was like someone put it there and left it (some new bearings for the engine...a little glue ,balsa wood, and covering, and it is good as new)