RCU Forums - View Single Post - Build 3W Rare Bear Bearcat
View Single Post
Old 04-05-2013, 02:20 AM
C_Roundy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Build 3W Rare Bear Bearcat

Roschi, Sir, you have captured my attention like no other in many years. I also build and fly Rare Bear!
Our's is much smaller, only 62 inch wingspan (uncut so far, like F-8 Bearcat) but with Rare Bear wing tip shape and no flaps like Rare Bear!

First let me compliment you on taking the initiative to make the 3W kit properly Rare Bear shape before painting it as such.

I can not tell you how much it shames me when people call a half (assed) modified Bearcat Rare Bear!
The cowling shape for instance. And also I appreciated the way you re-worked the fuselage up to the existing canopy to get the shape close to right!

Your willingness to share so many details of your modifications, with pictures, causes me to want to reciprocate.

My airplane is:
62.5 inches wingspan
approximately 735 sq. inches wing area
exactly 15 lbs dry, plus 24 ounces of 30 to 65 percent nitro methane fuel. (this gives me 5 minutes of full throttle).

Engine is YS DZ 170-175 (now on CDI). I turn an APC 16 x 15" at about 9,000rpm static. that unloads to 11~ thousand @ 200mph as we have found.

Go figure, it turns out to about 52-55 oz per square ft., and 37 mph outright stall speed when I have to land her deadstick, still full of fuel.

I must say that she is a sweety pie to fly at her weight, we did give approximately 3.25 degrees washout in the moulds.

And all the moulds are our own. (That comes in handy sometimes).

P.S. To anyone with English fluency that has access to access to Roschi's attention, I will appreciate your help tremendously!

Because I have questions of my own:

What is your projected weight?
what is your wing area as clipped?
what prop diameter and pitch do you expect to turn at what rpm?

I truly do want to reciprocate with pictures of the inside of our 4 year old (flying) airplane Roschi, but I suppose I must first find an image host like yours.

But in the mean while: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0c2CNENare4

and: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10...m.htm#10959190

Best Regards Roschi !!!
Chuck