RCU Forums - View Single Post - Hangar-9 Sopwith Camel Build Thread
View Single Post
Old 04-05-2013, 12:37 PM
ToolJoint

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hangar-9 Sopwith Camel Build Thread

Hey guys,

Anyone still hanging around this thread?..I hope so because I have enjoyed reading it front to back over the last few months. So...after being extremely impressed with the WWI display and flights at Warbirds over the Rockies last September, I began to look around for a WWI aircraft. I had a 1.25 Enya thumper (4 stroke) that I had recently removed from a crashed Hangar 9 AT-6, and though I'd never actually seen one up close, I always admired the H9 Camel online and in pictures. Strangely one came up for sale, and where I live, N.E. Wyoming, LPU means drive at least 1,000 miles, but wait....this one was only 250 some miles away in Cheyenne, so I pounced. She was used but in great shape, and it came with JR servos and receiver installed. Though I never got to talk with the previous owner, I noted a few wing scrapes, and some curious scratches on the top wing and rudder top. His wife told me it was fast and true and he had been flying it with a Saito 100...Great...done.

Well, that was in October, and I spent the winter mounting the motor and reading this thread, which has been simply invaluable! Thanks to everyone here for continued input.

More to come! Up next, fighting with the mounting, balance issues, flat spots, test flight, and Wyoming wind.

Cheers!

Keith