RCU Forums - View Single Post - Hangar-9 Sopwith Camel Build Thread
View Single Post
Old 04-05-2013, 06:04 PM
tree2tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hangar-9 Sopwith Camel Build Thread

Welcome guys,
As stated - the balance is critical. I don't trust hanging it by the top wing as the weight is just too far below that wing and it is hard to detect any off-balance condition. Better to project the top wing C of G measurement to the fuselage (or even the bottom wing and hang it inverted.) Don't get lazy on this one!
I have 106 flights on mine now and can usually keep it on its wheels for the landing. What works for me is to glide it in dead-stick (mine's electric) until about 10 feet off the ground, then go to about 1/3 throttle - yes as much as that - and fly it in tail high, touching down on the mains. I keep the throttle up at 1/3 to 1/4 until the tail skid touches and then very carefully lower the throttle while over-working the rudder to keep her straight. Of course the "1/3" throttle works for my power set-up. Your "mileage may vary". The point is to have just less power than will sustain level flight.
This video was taken in 2011 when I was figuring this all out. The second landing was the result of cutting the throttle too soon. Hope it helps:
http://rccd.org/Videos/11%2006%2009%20Camel%202.wmv
Other than the tricky landings, it is GREAT to fly. Have fun.