RCU Forums - View Single Post - foam wing adhesive
View Single Post
Old 04-08-2013, 08:42 PM
GREG DOE

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Default RE: foam wing adhesive

Ok Bob, you're right and I'm wrong about 3M 77, and yes I'm the guy on the forum with BAD advice.

What I said was a lot of wings were skinned with 3M 77 (which is true) but that laminating epoxy was a much better choice.

Truth is I'm new to this hobby, and I certainly don't claim to know everything. I still have a lot to learn. I only joined AMA in 1958 (I'll do the math: 55 years). Flew in my first Nats in 1969. Won three silver 1st. place trophies at the Toledo Trade Show. Three construction articles published. Last person awarded the perpetual Testors Best Finish Trophy.(It's on desplay at the AMA Museum) Airplane in the AMA Museum. Contest Director, Nats Event Director, AMA Leader Member, Former District Associate Vice President. There is more, but nobody is interested.

As a side note 3M 77 is also good for applying the mylar on the Science Olympiad airplanes, and helicopters.
When I'm not giving bad advice on this forum I spend a lot of time coaching S.O. building events. For the last 6 years I've coached at 2 or more schools, and my students have won 1st and 2nd in most of those events. For those not familar with this years S.O. indoor Helicopter event; the students build 3 gram, coaxial, rubber powered helicopters, that are capable of almost 3 minute flights. The rotor blades are built up structures covered with mylar, and we use spray contact adhesive to attach it. It's a lot of fun working with the kids. If anyone is looking for something to do in their spare time they might consider coaching Science Olympiad. It's very rewarding. That's enough for now. It's all good, Greg