RCU Forums - View Single Post - foam wing adhesive
View Single Post
Old 04-09-2013, 06:27 AM
MTK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: foam wing adhesive

ORIGINAL: sensei

ORIGINAL: GREG DOE

Ok Bob, you're right and I'm wrong about 3M 77, and yes I'm the guy on the forum with BAD advice.

What I said was a lot of wings were skinned with 3M 77 (which is true) but that laminating epoxy was a much better choice.

Truth is I'm new to this hobby, and I certainly don't claim to know everything. I still have a lot to learn. I only joined AMA in 1958 (I'll do the math: 55 years). Flew in my first Nats in 1969. Won three silver 1st. place trophies at the Toledo Trade Show. Three construction articles published. Last person awarded the perpetual Testors Best Finish Trophy.(It's on desplay at the AMA Museum) Airplane in the AMA Museum. Contest Director, Nats Event Director, AMA Leader Member, Former District Associate Vice President. There is more, but nobody is interested.

As a side note 3M 77 is also good for applying the mylar on the Science Olympiad airplanes, and helicopters.
When I'm not giving bad advice on this forum I spend a lot of time coaching S.O. building events. For the last 6 years I've coached at 2 or more schools, and my students have won 1st and 2nd in most of those events. For those not familar with this years S.O. indoor Helicopter event; the students build 3 gram, coaxial, rubber powered helicopters, that are capable of almost 3 minute flights. The rotor blades are built up structures covered with mylar, and we use spray contact adhesive to attach it. It's a lot of fun working with the kids. If anyone is looking for something to do in their spare time they might consider coaching Science Olympiad. It's very rewarding. That's enough for now. It's all good, Greg
OK, now that you have finished pounding on your chest and we all know now that you are into AMA politics, all this really means is that you have a better line of B%$@%## then most of us, and again if you like that sort of thing, that and $ 1.25 will buy you a cup of coffee and nothing more really... My first post was... Read it again Greg (3M 77 spray adhesive is a temporary adhesive and should not be used for this purpose, if you are going to use a contact adhesive then 3M 30-NF is you best option). I have not stated anything that is not true, and my comment was not directed at you personally in the first place, but your next post started with Bob, so here we are. If you would take the time to pull you head out of the sand or whatever and read about the 3M 77 versus 3M 30-NF you will find that the 77 is in fact a temporary adhesive, that is what makes is great for it intended use, and the 30-NF is a permanent adhesive that heat does not have an adverse effect on. I admit, you can get away with using 3M 77 spray adhesive on the tiny stuff, even I built a couple of small pattern planes some 25 years ago using 3M 77 on the foam sheeted wings and stabs, but the overall performance left allot to be desired when the airplane was in the sun, especially with the use of dark colors because I could twist a warm wing, that is why I stopped using it back then, because it was just ok and I needed outstanding. So it was then, and is now in fact a very poor choice. It is kind of like flying a present day 200 mph turban jet with a 30 year old AM radio, you maybe get by with it but should you? Now lets take it a step further; if you step up to large scale aircraft; the use of it is down right dangerous, about 8 or even 9 years ago I witnessed a 40% IMAC bird delaminate a top wing skin in flight from the use of this temporary adhesive and the airplane was destroyed upon impact. The good thing was; it did not hit anyone... So I say again it is a poor general comment to state this is what we did 20 years ago and leave it at that because this is a public forum, and there could and most likely are unknowing souls that may take what your stating as golden and use this on a much larger platform, especially now that you have made it clearly known by telling us that your an AMA political legend as well as a leader in advanced airframe design and building methodology, bla, bla ,bla...

Bob
Somebody's feathers got ruffled.....LOL. Youse guys crack me up!!