RCU Forums - View Single Post - ULTRA Ultra-Flash
View Single Post
Old 04-10-2013, 02:02 PM
mitchilito
My Feedback: (7)

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Default ULTRA Ultra-Flash

Last flying season I banged up my Classic Flash. As is usually the case there were two or three causative factors. Bottom line: I attempted a takeoff with the brakes on!![&o], hit the tall grass at the end of our runway and cartwheeled. The wing was thrashed, the vertical stab folded/destroyed and some nose stress cracks etc. I wasn't real happy but when the dust settled I decided to go ahead and repair/upgrade to the Ultra Flash configuration. The ultra conversion itself is kind of a pain but I would also have to repair the fuselage and remanufacture a new vertical stab!

Well, I just finished it a few days ago and decided to post the pics I took along the way. Some of you might find it interesting. For starters I'll include the pics of the Classic just as I flew if for all of last season. The Classic Flash is a FINE jet but I'll go on record right here and say I always HATED the way it acted in the pattern with anything more than minimal flaps. Very vague in pitch to the point that I quit using more than take off flaps for all ops unless I really really had to have more. IMHO the addition of crow is the only thing that made slow flight tolerable. Other than that I really loved my classic and was very shocked/dismayed when I basically destroyed it! (it had 170 flights on it at time of impact).

Look closely at the wreck and you'll see the smashed canopy in the foreground. Can you believe the frame itself was perfectly fine! The bubble on the other hand, not so much. . .
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81549.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	234.2 KB
ID:	1870383   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw72689.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	292.1 KB
ID:	1870384