Thread: Mystic Plans
View Single Post
Old 04-12-2013, 05:37 AM
doxilia
My Feedback: (3)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Mystic Plans

Ripon,

As with many foil designations, HQ/A-0-14 stands for Helmut Quabeck/Aerobatic-0(camber)-14(% thickness). I'm not very familiar with under cambered airfoils often used in gliders but the 0 is either an index or also a percentage of under camber or asymmetry in the foil (it would be a matter of checking). In our case, the 0 just means "no asymmetry" or put another way, a symmetric airfoil. The 14 is simply the percentage aspect ratio of the airfoil (thickness/chord).

If you have the HQ/A-0 airfoil coordinates available, producing an 8%, 12%, 14% or any other thickness is just a matter of scaling the foil in thickness. Profili can do this easily. That's how I produced my 14% airfoils above.

As a point of interest, Masahiro Kato (of MK kit fame), used a variation on the HQ/A-0 airfoil for ALL of his semi-scale FAI designs. I suspect many of the classic pattern designs might have used the same foil as well. Evidently, there was something special about this foil to him. Come to think of it, HQ might be younger than MK so who knows how things came about.

I hope this helps.

David