RCU Forums - View Single Post - RCU is really starting to suck
View Single Post
Old 04-12-2013, 08:50 AM
doxilia
My Feedback: (3)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: RCU is really starting to suck

ORIGINAL: RCKen

As far as old threads and pictures go. In my talks yesterday I stressed to the IB people that this needs to be a priority. I told them that nothing is going to piss of members more than to see the work that they put in on a build thread, or any other long thread, simply disappear. I stressed that we need to make every effort to ensure that all of those past archived threads are going to be available to the members. The people I was talking to understood and said they would do anything they could to make that happen.
Ken,

thanks for your informative post (only partially quoted).

Now that management and infrastructure is changing, I also look forward to a better and improved RCU in the days to come.

However, as you mention above, the existing content and the effort and time put into the creation of a build thread that spans years is unquestionable. One can have a site with all the bells and whistles and latest software (which is nice I admit) and hardware upgrades but if the "history" of a site cannot be preserved in any and all of those transitions, you (not you personally) will wind up with a group of disenchanted members.

In short, the preservation of threads (especially the "craft build threads", although all of them are important) is not only a priority, it is of cardinal importance. If the broken threads which are now a vestige of their original selves are not restored to 99% (I'll offer a 1% margin for human error), there will be a massive migratory flock from this site to other more fertile pastures (birds and mammals alike will be moving earth and sky). The initiator and founder of the forum I frequent the most (classic pattern) has already publicly stated he's left and that was a sad reality check.

I'd venture that if the broken threads (that have now been so for years) are not restored, no measure of IB effort will bring back the members; at least not for quite a while and particularly in light of the existence of other sites that have been offering a solid exchange platform.

I'm sure the above is all plain to you. It will be a matter of whether big business acknowledges this too and undertakes the required action.

Regards, David

P.S. This thread is moving faster than I can type so thanks for the ongoing updates.