RCU Forums - View Single Post - Hangar-9 Sopwith Camel Build Thread
View Single Post
Old 04-12-2013, 04:46 PM
ToolJoint

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hangar-9 Sopwith Camel Build Thread

OK, so I got her on the workbench, downloaded a manual and got busy. Before mounting the mill, I disassembled the weight box. Sure enough, stuffed with lead...though I didn't weigh it, I re-installed it, though I was a little worried about a nose heavy CG since the previous flyer flew a Saito 100 and I was installing an Enya 1.25...I decided on this route after reading all the posts here about balancing, and I prefer nose heavy for a first flight. She still had her stock Hangar 9 motor mounts in place and of course the Enya wouldn't fit where the Saito did. In fact, the Enya's rear mounted carb was hitting the firewall thus not allowing the front holes to remain on the mount, so off that mount came, and on with a great planes 90-120 mount I had laying around unused. Through hours of trial and error, holding my tongue just right and trying to see how it would fit just using my hands, I determined that the big Enya would have to set flush with the very forward tip of the mount in order for the carb to clear the firewall. After drilling and mounting, I had determined that the needle valve would not clear the forward fuselage, so I had to get out the Dremel and clear a path for it. Also, when I placed the cowl and dummy engine on it became apparent that a good deal of the fake crank case on the dummy was going to have to be removed in order for the front part of the Enya to protrude. After making everything fit, which was not easy and probably ate up a good 10 hours of time bolting, unbolting, fitting, cutting, etc...I had the engine mounted and soon had my receiver and battery pack installed for the great balancing act....man was I in for a surprise.