RCU Forums - View Single Post - Monocote "jig"
View Single Post
Old 04-14-2013, 02:26 PM
hogflyer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Monocote

That's an interesting way of applying covering, but is the material really getting stretched as tight as it should be before being shrunk? I guess the first trip into the sun will let you know for sure.

Here's my Sig Astro Hog. I covered the wing using one full roll of Monokote, and barely had enough. There is only one seam at the center after I cut the roll into 4 pcs, so each wing panel is one piece center section to tip. I also did the stab one piece center to tip, upper and lower. Those rounded tapered tips took a long time with a lot of pulling - close to 2 hours for each upper half, and each lower half. The real key to applying the iron-on plastic covering is to take your time pulling the wrinkles out. You'll have to unstick it as you go several times to pull more wrinkles out, so don't do more than enough of a tack until you have the wrinkles pulled out, the use higher heat to seal the periphery. And don't be scared to pull it hard. You'll be surprised how strong a balsa structure is, and how touch the material is too.

Hogflyer

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99870.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	1872010   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez82693.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	1872011   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc78792.jpg
Views:	17