RCU Forums - View Single Post - Kavan Sopwith Pup
View Single Post
Old 04-15-2013, 09:18 AM
DeferredDefect

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Kavan Sopwith Pup

Hello,

I recently picked up a Pup from a hobby shop discount rack. I used a NiCd 700 mAh pack and the stock motor, but it had a heck of a time staying in the air. I replaced this with a generic bell outrunner from Hobbyking and a 2s pack, and now she flew great. Sadly, I nosed her into a lake after trying inverted flight (watch out for those highly undercambered airfoils!), and the ship's been sitting in the basement since. I have a new outrunner and have begun the rebuild, hopefully we'll be flying again by tomorrow. 

As for the flight characteristics; think generic slow flyer. Ground handling is surprisingly good - lots of rudder authority without a steerable tailwheel. She gets her tail up at a very low speed, and can be brought down to a walking pace and still remain controllable in flight. Stalls (especially with the lighter power setup), are gentle, but the nose will cleanly drop. With such a low flying speed, she's under control again immediately. Landings are a piece of cake; just remember to keep some power on, as there's lots of drag and little momentum. Nose overs are difficult to avoid if you're flying on anything but a paved surface. 

Hope this helps, and happy flying!