RCU Forums - View Single Post - Fly Eagle Jet F-14 Crash (video)
View Single Post
Old 04-16-2013, 10:03 AM
gooseF22

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Fly Eagle Jet F-14 Crash (video)

ORIGINAL: dubd

ORIGINAL: ddrake24

It’s a free country so I am going to put my two cents worth in. B1 Bob did experience flutter on his elevators and had to perform a modification to fix it. This has been stated. As I understand it the jet that crashed did not have this mod. The video showed flutter and flexing of the stabs. I think the possibility exists that flutter could have caused this entire chain of events. Flutter caused the stab to start flexing this caused the rear of the fuselage to start twisting and then we end up with a unfortunate crash. As with most plane crashes there is seldom just one cause usually several things contribute. I hope you guy’s stop cutting each other down over different opinions.
B1Bob's plane is very different from mine. Bob's plane is fiberglass with plywood bulkheads. Mine was honeycomb with honeycomb bulkheads. Before I bought my F-14 I asked the rep about Bob's flutter and was told it was caused by him using servo screws/incorrect. After my plane crashed I once again mentioned Bob's flutter to the rep and once again he said it was from Bob using servo screws/incorrect.

The real question is what caused the stabs to flutter or oscillate. FEJ says it was caused by my batteries or electronics. I am waiting for them to say how they came to that conclusion.
Batteries and electronics causing this failure is complete and utter BullSHiz!! that modal is classic LLCO!! It has to do with the pivot point, the CG of the surface, and the Center of PRessure/lift.. The tail design is the cause.. It did NOT have enough margin designed in due to a combination of several of the things discussed here... Often in an accident investigation, there is a combination of causes, however if one cause is mitigate, the chain reaction never starts...

the most common flying surface mitigation for lack of strength is to move the CG of the flying surface closer to the CP or Lift point both longitudinally and laterally.. the closer both are to the rotational point the better because it stresses the rotational assembly less in torque.. THen the LLCO highlights the fact that the tail section could not hold up to it..(twisting oscillation)..

FEJ's design is flawed and requires a rework and redesign, plain and simple.. . FEJ, Please own up to it, FIX IT, Correct the Damages to your customers, and put out the air worthiness changes!!... Thats what the other MFG's do... Either get with the program, or go away.. One of your customers uncovered a flaw!!, one that has been described for 2 years.. Just make it right plain and simple... that is what the other Manufacturers do.. Listen to your builder data base (US)... If you don't, you wont survive..