RCU Forums - View Single Post - Is Hobbico dumping Super Tigre glow engines?
Old 04-16-2013, 06:03 PM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Is Hobbico dumping Super Tigre glow engines?

The main cause for the hobby to turn this way is also the main problem else where in the world..

MONEY.

large MFG here in the states hire many immigrants to work for them. They dont have to pay them as well or just minium wage and no health care or anything. So all the Hobby retailers and such also are on this MAKE MONEY Band Wagon. most of the retailers CEO's and bosses have retired and let younger guys/gals in there and they are not as much into the hobby as the older folks were. So All these foam planes make very large profits for the retailers. the high initial cost of a mold for a plane is quickly recovered with the high asking price for these foam planes. it cost very little to inject new foam in to the mold and make a new plane. lets say it cost 20 dollars to inject a plane counting all the labor and other items. they sell it for 150 dollars. they also sell replacement parts for twice the cost of a new plane but "you" think its cheap when you pay 50 doallrs for a new wing. it only cost them 5 dollars to make. look at TBM they used to be all gas planes. they are now full of UAV's and foam planes. they have one plane called the X-8 its 180 dollars. all you get is foam and a few fiberglass rods for the wing. its just like the dollar store foam gliders......

All of the retailers are seeing the amount of money to be made with these foam planes so why would they not stock them. when they sell out quickly and they order a larger amount and they sell out and so, while the OS 46 engine has been on the shelf for a month. the price of fuel has gone up also because of the foam planes people are not buying fuel in the amounts we were 5-10 years ago so they dont produce as much. They still want the same profit they had 5-10 years ago on the fuel so they charge more. Lol we dont buy as much fuel and so on.

one thing other than moeny is that I think most guys now are just lazy when it comes to flying. With electric you dont have drag a bunch of eq to the field, fuel the tank hook up the glow igniter, start the engine, disconect the igniter, fly then land repat till time to go home. so dont for the day you have to wipe the plane down. that cost you windex and paper towels (money)

Any this wasnt a rant just my opinion and view. I have been flying since I was seven back in 1978.

Just some humor for you guys my first electric plane was back in 1980 when I took a plane for a .049 that had around 300 sq in. kinda a small glider type plane like a HOB 2x6. I took a small electric drill and used the Maubacchi (sp) 550 motor, the battery pack and switch. lol it was heavy and only flew for three minutes and would get about 100 feet high.
now I like some of the foam planes and have some also as there are some good flying planes that couldnt be done in balsa.

Oh I was disappointed also with MA when it was all electric sad day like our country!