RCU Forums - View Single Post - ARF prices going up?
View Single Post
Old 04-17-2013, 07:31 PM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: ARF prices going up?

ORIGINAL: vertical grimmace

ORIGINAL: roknHS

For example:
5 years ago the Great Planes Super Stearman was $349.
2 years ago it was $379.
Today it is $429. The Waco, essentially same size, similiar airframe is $499. Why is the Waco so much more?

China has increased prices a little..........transportation might have increased a little............but, it sure hasn't gone up 20% in 5 years. I don't think the warehouse workers in Illinois have staged a strike and bent management over for a big pay increase.
Most of these increases are there to pad the bottom line. More profit, bigger bonus...........use your imagination. They will charge what ever the traffic will bare.........don't want to leave any money on the table.

I've managed companies, set prices, reported to board members and stock holders for 20 years. This is how it works.

You can still buy a good quality ARF cheaper than you can build from a kit so, I guess there is still room to raise prices some more.

Until it stops selling in volumes, the price will continue to go up. Dig up a 2002 Tower Catalog and compare prices with the 2013 catalog. You're reaction will be somewhere between surprise and shock.

Is it inflation or greed? Have your wages gone up 20 - 30% in the last 5 years?

I've been at this since the late 70's, I have gliders, electrics, helis and glow and gas planes.........20 plus built and some in the box waiting. I have a shop and enough inventory on hand to build whatever I want without placing a single order. I'm not getting out of this hobby alive. I don't like to see prices go up just to provide big profits and a big bonus but, that's capitalism. I don't think Tower or any other big distributor is going to lower prices so, either pony up for what you want to fly or sell your stuff for 20 cents on the dollar and take up knitting..........or buy some cheap stuff from the guy with the knitting needles.

I agree with most of this.

The only thing is that I hear this ''still buy good quality ARF cheaper than a kit can be built''. I disagree with this. I have never seen an ARF assembled that can even come close to the quality of a properly built kit. It may cost a bit more, but that is because better materials are used in it's completion. Hardware, covering, etc. This is in particularly apparent with the Warbird offerings of late. A warbird just looks like crap covered in plastic coverings, like monokote. It is cheaper as well to fiberglass and paint, resulting in a much more realistic look and a more durable lasting finish.

So, while the ARF has expanded the hobby, it has not increased the quality. Now, the cheap gas engines have certainly moved many of us into bigger models. This seems to be a very timely occurrence as glow fuel has gotten to be way to expensive as well.

The Fokker DVII pictured received one of the most insulting comments I have ever had in my modeling career. A club member asked me ''where did you get that ARF! That after working on it for 2 years.

All I can say to all this is that I have been modeling for 40 years or more. Having said that, I still buy ARF models because I can have an airplane that there is no way I would have the time, patience, and money to invest in creating. The compound curves of the models such as Extras, Katanas, Giles, etc. I could certainly do, but I just don't have the time to do so. So, due to the availability of affordable ARF planes, I have airplanes that I would never have had otherwise.

'Nuff said,
AV8TOR