RCU Forums - View Single Post - WHY JETs ARE EXPENSIVE? OR, NEED TO BE!!
Old 04-18-2013, 07:54 AM
erbroens

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: WHY JETs ARE EXPENSIVE? OR, NEED TO BE!!

Hi Jose, I think that a good jet should be well engineered, and not necessarily need to be expensive.

Biggest issue in my way of view things, is that most people start to get bored after doing 500 or 1000 flights in the old, "expensive branded" models wich hasn´t changed in 15 years. They want something different,new and possibly more challenging.

The companies that offer something different are the ones who have cheaper labor expenses, and less experience in aero engineering. The result is inevitable. I feel bad for both parties.

Maybe something that would help is a norm, in wich all airframe should pass a series of tests in the factories to give some additional information on it´s build quality to the buyer, like positive and negative g-rating, max landing g, Vne, etc.. and this has little to do with costs. in fact, I think this would make jets cheaper in the long run.

Not saying that we need a certification at all, but some kind of norm we can define and self-impose may be the solution for minimizing this problem.