RCU Forums - View Single Post - Fly Eagle Jet F-14 Crash (video)
View Single Post
Old 04-18-2013, 10:08 AM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts
Default RE: Fly Eagle Jet F-14 Crash (video)

ORIGINAL: Rcmodlercalifornia

This for me is the straw that has broken the Camels back. I thinks every single poster here is missing the issue. The fact of the matter is that this small segment of the hobby is clearly not safe at all. I will be sending this link along with links to lots of other turbine crashes to the FAA and request that they address this danger in their upcoming rule making process.
When I look at YouTube, I see many dangerous turbine crashes with all brands including BVM and skymaster flown by competent pilots. These were turbine waiver pilots, flying under guidelines from AMA, and they still crashed due to electronic failure, structural failure, or ''unknown''. This is just not safe in every way shape or form, and this small segment puts our whole hobby at risk - including electrics.
AMA has no way to address these safety issues, as is evidenced by this and many other crashes. In this case it was a professional build flown by a competent turbine waiver pilot.
I have an 8 year old little boy, and at our field one of these flying bombs crashed due to unknown issues. It came apart in flight and crashed away from the spectator area by luck...had it gone the other way it could have killed my little boy.
I urge you all to look inside yourselves and do the right thing. No matter how good a pilot you are, or how good a brand you buy, you can still crash and end up killing spectators...including kids, like my little boy. For the sake of 95%+ of the people and kids in this hobby, ground your turbine jets and fly something safer....it is just a matter of time till your activities kill innocent people and ruin this hobby for us all.
I am sorry if I have offended but this is my very strong opinion based on safety that I bet is shared by the majority of aero molders. In the spirit of fairness, I will also be copying my FAA complaint to the AMA.
The only r/c airplane that has killed people in the USA has been a prop powered airplane. Obviously "we" are safer. Beat it.