RCU Forums - View Single Post - ESM Dornier DO 335
View Single Post
Old 04-23-2013, 06:43 PM
jimkron

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: ESM Dornier DO 335

ORIGINAL: kahloq

jimkron....you are using 20x10s right? You don't use any flaps at all on take off correct?

I also highly doubt mine will jump into the air(non literal interpretations included). Im more worried about running out of runway(800ft) and it still not want to lift off). That is why Im thinking a bigger diameter prop might end up being required, even if a lower pitch. Might be overthinking things, Im just a tad worried.

Yes, 20x10 two bladed on front and back. No flaps on take-off. Full flaps on landing. My Sierra brakes are set-up on the elevator. During roll-out I gently push forward on the stick and the proportional brakes start to grab. Works great.
I think you'll be fine. Just pick an abort take-off point on the runway. I'm guessing in 300 feet you'll be heading upwards. Just do a nice slow, scale liftoff, with a gentle first bank as she picks up airspeed. As you come up to a comfortable speed in the air remember to manage your throttle. You can't "balls to the wall" lipos for more than :15. Also, leave yourself plenty of time for several go arounds if your not happy with your approach. Everything at this point is guesswork about batteries. I would plan for a 5 minute flight. Takeoff, trim, fly, and start setting up for several approaches. Check batteries upon landing, high fives, and live to fly another day.

You'll do great.

jim

ps. Get that landing gear up right away. Don't be one of those guys that maidens with the gear down. Dumb idea. Two reasons: #1 If your going to crash you want the gear up. #2 the gear drag will slow the plane down. You need speed not drag.