RCU Forums - View Single Post - K&B .61: Changing bearings
View Single Post
Old 04-24-2002, 03:03 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default K&B .61: Changing bearings

GunShip,

Thats good that you came in with some of the details I left out.

I have three Clarence Lee PDP K&B 61's. The oldest has the Perry carb as does yours in the picture. The others have the non finned square K&B carb with the idle needle in the center of the throttle arm. All three run great but the one I use is the one with the oldest serial number and the Perry carb.

They are about the loudest engines I ever owned. Clarence cuts the back of the muffler off and puts a piece of 1/2" aluminum tubing in there. Mine have the old style blunt muffler.

I bought the engines off the net. They were not Clarence Lee engines. All were bench run only and looked new. One, however had bad bearings in it and the piston was spilt about half way down the skirt. It ran but I was afraid of it. This bad engine was the older one with the Perry carb that I use. I was told this engine was bad before I bought it.

I got new parts from MECOA and put in the older one that was bad. The new sleeve was chromed.

Then I got the wild idea to send them to Clarence. He and his wife treated me great and got the three engines back to me right away. He wrote a long letter telling about each engine and just how to break them in.

Jim