RCU Forums - View Single Post - ASP/MAGNUM FS400AR Rebuild/Overhaul
View Single Post
Old 04-28-2013, 01:03 PM
Carosel43

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ASP/MAGNUM FS400AR Rebuild/Overhaul

I would oil the rockers from time to time, and my engine was an SC. I do have the manual but its somewhat tatty!

Also having an engine rich means nothing if it is over loaded. The idea of running rich is to provide extra lubrication and not to much to remove load. All engine need to reach operating temperature and rpm to run in properly. As a result you need to reach 7000-8000rpm during the run in period. If you use a small prop to reach those numbers you can run the engine richer, ie with more lubrication, but still get within the engines operating window. Another thing is that when piston rings are new they are not a perfect fit in the liners and there are gaps all the way round (microscopically speaking) so with a large load the combustion gasses can blow right past the piston rings through these gaps and hold them away from the cylinder wall. This stops the rings running in correctly and could be an explanation for such large amounts of oil escaping from your breather.

Clearly the small prop will have made no difference to the issue with the squeaky cams but you wont do the engine any good running it very rich for hours and hours at 3000rpm. By all means give it a slow run to get it oiled up inside but then you really have to get some heat and revs into it. Don't go mad, but a 5 second blast at full power (tuned 1/8 turn rich) and then back to 4000 for a minute, then another 5 seconds and back to 4000 etc etc. then on the next tank you can make it 7 seconds, then 8, then 10. when you can hold full power for 10 seconds without sagging, its time to set your idle and get it in the air. After another 10 flights all it well and you can do what you want. But seriously, keep the rpm above 7000. if you look at the bore/stroke ratio its not a long stroke low rpm motor. it wants to rev a bit so let it