RCU Forums - View Single Post - DynaFlite Super Decathlon Kit Bash and Build
Old 05-03-2013, 08:16 AM
mattnew
My Feedback: (2)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default DynaFlite Super Decathlon Kit Bash and Build

Goals:
Build a good flying dynaflite decathlon.
Try some different construction techniques and hopefully learn a thing or two.
Reduce the flying weight of the plane from ~16-18lbs as most appear to be to around ~13-14lbs, having it balance with a GT33 in the nose and hopefully not much else in the way of lead weight
Have some fun.

Motivation:
Things I hear about this kit; great flyer, heavy, with a G38 in the nose you have to add nose weight to balance it... hmmmm

The more I looked over the plans, and the more I looked at other planes in my stable, the more I became convinced I could cut just about half the wood out of the tail and body and still have a solidly constructed plane.

examples:
The decathlon uses 3/8" x 15/16" sticks to build up the majority of the tail and parts of the body.
RC extras 30% extra 230; tail is constructed using primarily 3/8" square sticks
1/4 scale clipped wing cup; 3/8' x 1/2" sticks along with some 1/4" square sticks from what I can tell through the covering
1/3 fly baby; 3/8' square, some 3/8"x1/2", mostly spruce however
Nosen Citabria; 3/8" square, some 3/8"x1/2", mostly spruce

My point here would seem to be that this tail, for what the plane is would seem to be a bit massively overbuilt. if an extra 230 doesn't need 15/16" thick sticks to build, I can't imagine a decathlon would etc....

Without trying to go for a homerun and make the lightest possible decathlon, what I'm going to do is make what I feel are "prudent decisions and design changes that should add lightness without impacting the structural integrity of the plane.

step 1, build the elevators. We will keep the spruce spar and use it to attach the flying wires to, however all 15/16" wood is gone, substituting in 3/8" x 1/2". I cut down the 6" wide center section to 3" as well and reconfigured the stringers so there are now 6 1/8" x 3/8" stringers instead of the plans which show 4 I think this is still overkill...

We are trying something new for me with glues as well. No CA on this plane, any glue used will either be Titebond, 30 minute epoxy, and possibly some ambroid. In an effort to use less glue, I've found that the testors glue tips fit perfectly on Target's syringes that we get with some of the meds... so once the kiddo's are don'e being sick with there colds.. the syringes end up in my hobby shop. so far I've liked how they work, quite a bit less mess than using hte big bottle.