RCU Forums - View Single Post - First contest
View Single Post
Old 05-07-2013, 04:52 AM
bubbagates
My Feedback: (32)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: First contest

ORIGINAL: jetmech05

Got my first contest under my belt. Of course I'm going basic.
Rained all day Friday but got in 2 practice flights. Rained all day Saturday no breaks at all.
Sunday it cleared got in my simulated unknowns with a score of 924 but couldn't figure out why the plane was so twitchy. I was in high rates.
Now the wind begins to really blow over 15 on the ground 45 to80 deg crosswind and worse at altitude where I embrassed myself completely.
Bottom line I didn't have a great time is it common to feel like this after your first contest
Actually yes and no

Yes meaning that you will find out that somethings are not as easy as they look and that IMAC will fly in winds higher than you are used to. The beauty of this is when you are at your home field and everyone is leaving because of winds, you will be laughing at then and heading abck into the air. That skill does not happen overnight, be patient and learn what the rudder can really do for you. It will confuse at first as to which correction you need, but you will get it

No meaning that you also faced some weather. We also flew this weekend in the NE, two contests to be exact and both had excellent weather with winds about the same as what you had.

We all embarrass ourselves all the time so that's normal. Think back to when we all flew 72mhz. When I was up there is front of the judges that nice long antennae would give me away. The tip was always shaking so bad it was clearly visible. At times, if you are in the judges chair or being a scribe for a judge, you can hear the pilots cursing themselves out for making a mistake or even lughing at themselves

Ok, since I mentioned a scribe, what a scribe does is writes down whatever score the judge tells him, it's that easy, but if you are lucky enough and it's actually pretty often, youwill have a really good judge that will take as much time as they can and explain a bit as to why the pilot got the score he got. Not all judges do this. I do, I'll grab a basic pilot as a scribe and when I am judging the higher classes those pilots are flying a lot slower (experience) and it sometimes gives me time to explain why I gave the score I did. This is very valuable and will make things much easier for you.

Also, never forget the first rule of IMAC, HAVE FUN. Even the high class pilots are very friendly. Yes as in everything you may run into someone that is not very friendly, but in my experience, and 12 years of doing this, I have seen it 2 or 3 times and I've been flying and judging quite a few contests all over the country.

One final thing, practice, practice and practice some more. Always practice with the plane you intend to fly IAMC with and skill is at the bottom of your fuel can.jug (meaning burn lots of fuel)

You appear to be in the SE region, that region is loaded with a lot of great people that will help you, all you have to do is ask. I can put you in touch with the regional director who can help you get together with other IMAC pilots that will be more than willing to work with you