RCU Forums - View Single Post - Fly Eagle Jet F-14 Crash (video)
View Single Post
Old 05-07-2013, 02:09 PM
jlmaviation
My Feedback: (54)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Fly Eagle Jet F-14 Crash (video)

I have not posted on this in a while. But must now. Falcon64 is partially correct and here is how. If you static balance the stab it would stay stabile in a forward motion like in his video. However here is the part that is missing. Static means not in motion. So the stab in a forward flight with no input would be balanced. Now we all know that the stab is used for controlling the plane up and down. Moving forward in flight we also have gravity which gives the plane weight and we have drag which give resistance to forward motion. Drag increases with speed. Here is the missing part he does not see. When you give an up input on the stab you have the force of gravity and drag to overcome against the stab surface. That force is transferred to the control rod and the control mounts. The mounts in my structural engineering experience is not sufficient. That mount gives way or the pin if it poorly secured to the mount will give way. At that point balancing won't save you if you cannot control up or down. You are flying thru air which has turbulance and without control on your flight surfaces you crash period. That mount could have become loose and even if that occurs you will not be able to control the plane. That flutter could of been Dubd desperately trying to pull up his jet with loose elevators. I would do the same keep trying till the end.