RCU Forums - View Single Post - First contest
View Single Post
Old 05-07-2013, 03:36 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 173 Likes on 149 Posts
Default RE: First contest

So far the other two guys are spot on. There really is no way to know exactly what you are getting into until you are there and participating. I would be curious to know what airplane and equipment you have. Reason for this is when I take on coaching someone I like to make sure the airplane is dialed in so the pilot can concentrate on flying and not fighting the airplane. Flying in the wind is more work for the pilot but having the airplane trimmed well will reduce your workload even in strong winds. Your comments about the airplane being twitchy and the crosswind giving you difficulty leads me to believe the airplane could use some work. From there it would be a matter of productive practice. What I mean by that is to come up with a practice plan. For guys just starting out I suggest the first flight of the session being level passes 200 ft high and 200 ft out with turn around maneuvers at each end. This will really help with positioning and holding box depth. In order to go back and forth holding the same altitude and depth will require lots of rudder work. The sooner you can become master of the rudder the sooner you will see scores that will make you proud.