RCU Forums - View Single Post - DynaFlite Super Decathlon Kit Bash and Build
Old 05-08-2013, 12:18 PM
RCVFR
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: DynaFlite Super Decathlon Kit Bash and Build

ORIGINAL: mattnew

Thanks Bill,

The default build for the plane per instructions is done either around the G26 or the US engines 25cc engine, i can't remember which. Both nearly identical magneto based engines that weigh close to 60oz, or just shy of 4lbs. With this engine, I believe most have had to add nose weight to get the plane to balance, and since I'm going with an engine that is 20oz lighter, I'm more than a little concerned that I'll be adding lbs back to the nose to make the plane balance out.

By the way, I'm very open to discussion and constructive feedback on better ways to do this plane so that I am able to meet some of my targets. Like I said , hoping to learn a thing or two here.
I built mine with a G38 up front. The plans allow some flexibility as to servo mount locations, I placed mine aft of the cabin, leaving a substantial space in the cabin for future detailing, should that be desired. Even so, I added another 4 oz of weight back by the aft servo hatch for best flight response. Adding noseweight to this design really puzzles me. I can't imagine doing that with a G38. I covered with SIG Koverall and painted with latex paint. The plane did not fly "heavy".

If I were to do it again, I would move the firewall back somewhat, as the stock design is overly long in the nose, presumably to facilitate balance with a lighter engine.

Good luck with your build.