RCU Forums - View Single Post - ramifications of 3d printing on RC market
Old 05-08-2013, 12:54 PM
cenracer1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: ramifications of 3d printing on RC market

I just finished 3d printing a dual movable camera mount for a FPV plane my son and I are working on. We can now tilt both cameras down or straight ahead while in flight instead of using 4 camera's to get the same effect. I noticed a couple of things good and bad with 3D printing. This particular mount was designed completely on CAD with only minimal measuring of the camera's and location ahead of time and the accuracy is perfect. If you can dream it, you can fabricate it on the printer. This printer layers the material and bonds it together in very thin layers forming the item. It seems to be vey durable, but due to the way its made the items are thicker than I would have liked in order to keep the structure stable. Being on a very large FPV plane its not really an issue buton a smaller structural part... Not there yet. I was told they can use ABS plastic and its thinner, but still not as strong as the nylon/plastic blends we currently use. But that will be available eventually and thats when these printers will come into their own.. its getting there and will be soon.. I can think of so many things I would love to print.. but everything I need is structural..