RCU Forums - View Single Post - Repairing my Alpha .40
View Single Post
Old 05-10-2013, 03:25 AM
loves nitro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Repairing my Alpha .40

Hi All,
Before I ask for your advice on a repair to my Hangar 9 Alpha .40 you need to know this will be my first repair attempt on an RC plane.
The other day I had my first crash with my Alpha .40, as I took off a crosswind came up and the plane veared to the right, and hit the wind sock pole dead center. The glue holding the wing joint came unglued, the spinner disentigrated, the prop blades could not be found, but those are a no brainer to fix. However the firewall came loose on one side (the left side), and it has a small crack in it. My instructor told me to take the engine, and engine mount off the plane, and epoxy a wood brace to the firewall, and the fuesalodge in order to hold the fire wall in place.
But another fellow told me it would be better if I just pulled the firewall out, and made an exact template of the firewall, and just make a new firewall, and epoxy the new firewall in the plane. I feel both methods will work, but I would greatly appriciate some other opinions on which fix would be the best way to go. I do have a scroll saw so makeing a new firewall will not be hard, I just don't know what to expect to find or whats all is involved if I pull out the old firewall and replace it. Any help with this will be greatly appriciated.
Paul