RCU Forums - View Single Post - New: Find Rc Flying Fields with Google Maps
Old 05-13-2013, 07:47 AM
apwachholz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New: Find Rc Flying Fields with Google Maps

@scale
Ur info is still in the db per our last interaction. Unfort, my developer hasn't had time to clear the data tables of the entries you submitted. Ergo, I can't update the locations yet. Also, regading your concern about incorrect locations:
The reason why some field locations are incorrect is because the information we collected via the AMA website, at the time, were club officer home addresses. After a conversation with the AMA they acknowledged that this was the case with some clubs - since some flying fields technically don't have an address (e.g., country road, to your left, drive 200 meters, etc.). So what the AMA provides via its site are essentially two sets of data:
  1. Contact information
  2. Field information
We are only able to scrape the Contact information which typically IS the field's information. However, if the correct location information is in the Google Map you click on, we can't collect that data (bummer). So that's why, in some cases, there's a disconnect. We knew this going forward building the tool. The goal is to join the contact information with the field information - create a single location for all your flying field information needs. Its a lofty goal but, I believe in the model avation community and would love to see it happen.
Its a free tool and yes, it has its hiccups but, something worth having doesn't come easy. Sorry for the bumps...

Cheers!