RCU Forums - View Single Post - ASP/MAGNUM FS400AR Rebuild/Overhaul
View Single Post
Old 05-16-2013, 05:01 AM
BJ64

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ASP/MAGNUM FS400AR Rebuild/Overhaul

Well - I picked my 'spanners' up today.

Actually, they're not all that bad. They look like chrome-plated drop-forged jobbies and not those really weak flat steel ones, so they should be ok. The 'ring spanner' ends look a bit suss - just have to go carefully with them to see if they're the "round the corners off the nut" type. Or the "break the spanner" type [X(]

And they're rather unusually paired in sizes. Like a 4.5 mm ring end on a 5mm spanner end, and a 5mm ring end on a 4.5mm spanner end. I thought "yeh... that'd be right... silly Chinese engineering here". But then I thought about it - it's quite ingenious after all. Each spanner in the range has the ring end +/- 0.5mm to the jaw end. That way, you always have a ring and jaw on separate spanners so that you can hold with one, and tighten with the other.

Clevah lil buggers

I still might see if I can get a set of Sears ones - bloke can't have too many tools And they look a bit more solid than my ones. Shall have to see what the postage is like.

But, for now, I've got what I need to do my valve clearances now. Happy happy happy.

Darn, 0.1mm sure is a small gap - can't imagine how fine 0.04mm must be to adjust...

BJ

PS - ok... checked out the Sears spanners. Now that I have seen the close-up pic, they're the same spanners as the ones I bought today - just with different branding. My price was AUD$17.90 for the 10pc set. Sears price - AUD$23.30. Postage (wait for it) AUD$37.10. Are they kidding me? The kit is smaller than a 20 pack of cigarettes, and weighs less than a mobile phone. *eeeeeeesh*