RCU Forums - View Single Post - How to repair this
View Single Post
Old 05-19-2013, 05:58 PM
Popriv

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to repair this

Maidened my Mariner yesterday, Flew great once I trimmed it out but got careless on the 5th flight, doing figure 8's in a strong wind, think I got to slow, lost lift and spiraled in. got level and pulled it up a bit just before it hit.

The impact snapped off the engine pod and the prop dug into the turtle deck, This also held the engine up. The OS .60FX was hanging by the servo wire!
The wings were still attached but it split at the glue joint.
Rest of fuse is good.

Q: Could use suggestions on reattaching the engine pod.

1st though is CF laminate on each side running right up into the pod. firewall came out clean so I have good access into the pod.
I'll have to adjust wing joint/slot to fit around whatever I use as laminate. maybe also pin thejoint with CF dowel and epoxy?
Obviously there is alot of stress on this joint but I dont want to overdo it.

I dont think I should try to cut out the old post so I could put in a new, one piece post. So its the pod to the top of the post I have to secure.....

Turtle deck will be an easy repair. May glass the front and paint just the front?

Wing halves are intact. It seperated pretty clean.

Q: How do I get a new spar in there though. not sure about that? how many bays does it have to go. Pluse I'll wrap fibeglass around the finishd joint.

Plenty of power with the .60 on it so a little weight on the repair wont hurt.....

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw66805.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	1883412   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf11986.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	436.3 KB
ID:	1883413   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq38009.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	426.4 KB