RCU Forums - View Single Post - How to repair this
View Single Post
Old 05-20-2013, 01:17 AM
Popriv

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How to repair this

I think the post ran up into the pod in one piece. It didn't just separate at a glue joint? The post snapped at the bottom of the pod.
Sounds like you are suggesting just gluing the broken area and surrounding it with tri stock? I don't know if that will be strong enough?
I have plenty of tools and building experience. I'm just not sure what will make the pod structurally sound again? It is a high stress area.
Starting to see how I could build up the top of the post and create a flat area that the pod could glue down onto. My first thought was the post has to go through and into the pod like it was originally? Hmmmmmm...

Not as concerned with the wing although I've never tried to replace a spar. I guess my options here are to peel pack the covering, put in a short spa in the first bay glue it together and wrap the joint with glass? OR. Open the wing up on the bottom and cut in a new spar then close it up again.

Covering things up and making it look pretty after the repair won't be a problem.

Just don't want the pod to break off or the wings to fold up on me after the repair!

Also thinking of attaching a thin cable from the engine mount, down the post and into the fuse.
In the event of another bad crash I don't want the engine breaking off and sinking. Came close this time.
Figuring it would hang in the water From the cable if everything else broke ?

Thanks ! The suggestions help.

Steve