RCU Forums - View Single Post - How to repair this
View Single Post
Old 05-20-2013, 06:38 AM
Popriv

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How to repair this

ORIGINAL: KitBuilder

If it's one piece.. that's a perfect break. The piece remaining on the pod second support. THe post going up into the pod with bracing on four contact points and the rear support will be plenty strong. Don't know if I agree with just butt gluing wing panels together??

for the pod.. what I was suggesting was the pic with filler pieces iniside the pod front and back between the tri-stock where they run fore and aft of the post... and on the bottom, front of the post. If you look at how it was originally designed.. doesn't look like there was support at all. I cannot tell if the post went vertical way up and was epoxied d tied to what looks like a vertical support in the pod itself. I doubt it or the pod wouldn't have come apart so cleanly. The rear support piece running down the rear of post t is the main support... the tr-stock offer lateral stability. Does the rear curved support run up inside the pod at all. Seems like no or there wouldn't be much for a tank?

Apologize.. just re-read your post.. ''Pod snapped at the top''.
You need to see how much is up inside and then remove it.
I would then do this along with the pic on the left....dovetail a new piece, being sure to extend it up however far the original was ...face the sides with light ply, epoxy, clamp along it's length, then round the front and feather the rear a bit..

Great picture. I like the way you dovetailed the extension onto the original post. laminate the sides and extend it all the way into the pod as the original was. Since the firewall already pulled out access will be easy.. looking good. thanks