RCU Forums - View Single Post - Improving stability
View Single Post
Old 05-22-2013, 05:36 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Improving stability

ORIGINAL: jetmech05]I guess if you had some radical airplane where it just was impossible to fly without a gyro then use it...
Like I said wasn't trying to rain on anyones parade
ORIGINALaniel-EL]I selling off all my giant stuff and sticking to flying foamies now. Trouble is they flit and flirt and are too unstable for my aging reflexes. I've already crashed one that got away from me.
I have been a vocal opponent to gyros for a learning tool or a crutch. Until Igot a little 14.7" UMX Beast 3D AS3X biplane. This has three-axisgyros that prevent the wind from buffeting this tiny 2 oz model and allow it to fly incredibly well outdoors and in good breezes (about up to 10mph or so). The gyros won't regain level flight if you release the sticks, but instead they keep the model flying on track until additional stick input comes along. They certainly DONOTturn the Beast into a trainer.

Ialso fly gas and glow. This ridiculous little foamy flies as smoothly as a .60 size glow and is a LOTmore maneuverable than most sport models. It flies a LOTbetter than my Seagull .46 Ultimate biplane. At least under my thumbs.