RCU Forums - View Single Post - Improving stability
View Single Post
Old 05-22-2013, 08:38 PM
Bozarth
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Improving stability

ORIGINAL: Charlie P.

I have been a vocal opponent to gyros for a learning tool or a crutch. Until I got a little 14.7'' UMX Beast 3D AS3X biplane. This has three-axis gyros that prevent the wind from buffeting this tiny 2 oz model and allow it to fly incredibly well outdoors and in good breezes (about up to 10mph or so). The gyros won't regain level flight if you release the sticks, but instead they keep the model flying on track until additional stick input comes along. They certainly DO NOT turn the Beast into a trainer.

I also fly gas and glow. This ridiculous little foamy flies as smoothly as a .60 size glow and is a LOT more maneuverable than most sport models. It flies a LOT better than my Seagull .46 Ultimate biplane. [img][/img] At least under my thumbs.
Charlie,

+1. Your first hand account is what we need more of! As you described, they add STABILITY. Kind of like a well designed vertical STABILIZER and horizontal STABILIZER. I think many don't understand stability and take it for granted, thanks to stable designs. Charlie hit it right on the head.

Kurt